[TR] [Bulk] Re: TR3A leather trim

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 3 04:56:19 MDT 2011

Hi John,
Not to be contrary to one of the more experienced, but I had received
guidance from another leather expert also on the technique I used. He
mentioned paring but reserved the technique to those with much experience as
it could be devastating to those you had little or no experience as it could
result in too thin, uneven or punctured leather. Using water aids in
increasing pliability of leather and further allows for the use of thicker
hides. The problem comes with tight bends as I indicated and this requires
patience.
I forwarded pictures to Keith of my technique and the resulting finished
product. It has been over 5 years and the leather finish looks as good as
the day it went on with no release, bulging or creases. My leather came from
Heritage Upholstery who use the real thing.
I guess there are more ways than 1 to "skin" a cow.
Best regards,
 Alex