[TR] TR3A overdrive difficult to engage

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Sun Apr 24 18:38:38 MDT 2011

Hi everyone;

Each Spring, during the first time out with my car, I find the overdrive
does not want to engage for the first couple of attempts. After that, it's
perfect.

I have driven my car twice this spring and the overdrive was not working at
 all. Today, I took it out for a third time, on a longer drive. Before I
left, I  checked the gearbox oil level and then sat with the ignition on,
engaged fourth  gear and switched the overdrive on. I could distinctly hear the
solenoid  working. I then went for a drive. No overdrive at all, but I was
switching it in  and out as if it was working, in case it decided to wake up
at some point.  Eventually, on a long straight road, having engaged
overdrive some 5kms  beforehand, the overdrive kicked in suddenly (did not engage
sluggishly).  Unfortunately, I was just coming up to a red light, so had to
disengage and  slow. After that, the overdrive would not engage for several
attempts.  Eventually, the length of time between engaging the switch and the
actual  engagement of the overdrive got better, to the point that, by the
time I got  home from my 2 hour drive, it seemed to be working normally. I
suspect I'll have  to go through the same non-overdrive business the next time
I drive it,  though.

Where should I start?

Tim in Ontario, Canada. TS22930LO, built Oct. '57