[TR] Head Off - what I found

John Gillis JGILLIS at tcd.ie
Sun Apr 24 07:52:59 MDT 2011

Removed the head with little trouble, not too surprising considering it never drove further than 2 miles and idling in the garage. here is what I noticed; very black in the bores with carbon particularly 4, again considering it was never run on the roads this is no surprise, two areas of worry, a couple of the studs are covered in what appears to be the dreaded oil/water mix, it appears as bubbles in the coating on the stud and is generally mucky in appearance.  I removed one stud and the same was to be found on the thread area where it screws into the block. Secondly, around the liners and in the water passage way the corrosion light brown deposits are to my eye excessive, I noticed the same in the rad on removal.

John Gillis
Senior Conservator