[TR] TR3 Brake light switch

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Apr 22 14:22:42 MDT 2011

> Can I take the old
> switch to NAPA and ask for "one like this",

It worked for me.  ISTR they gave me one from an old Ford pickup truck.  But
it depends on who you get at the counter.

> and when I remove the old switch, will the hydraulic fluid run out??

Yes, but you can minimize it by using something to hold the brake pedal
partially depressed.  I have a carpenter's bar clamp similar to
http://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch-bar-clamp-96487.html
where I reversed the heads to make a spreader and it works slick for this.
Didn't even have to bleed afterwards (although I did still get a few drops
out, so put a rag or something to protect your frame paint).

However, after having a 'proper' replacement from one of the big 3, and the
FLAPS switch both fail within a year or so, I decided to go a different
route.  On the 3A, I mounted a TR4 style switch in the pedal box, which
worked great but looked kind of bad under the hood.  So on the TR3 I mounted
it under the dash:
http://tinyurl.com/2efyus7

-- Randall