[TR] Coil Resistance & Pertronics

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 06:41:25 MDT 2011

Dan,

The 1.5 ohm coil needs external ballast to bring the overall resistance to
about 3 ohms.  In other words, the 1.5 ohm coil runs on 6V.  The purpose of
that is to allow the ignition switch to sent power which bypasses the
ballast when starting the car.  When the started is sucking lots of amps,
the battery voltage sags to well below 12V.  This will make a standard 12V
coil put out a weak spark, and start hard, especially if flooded.  Bypassing
the ballast runs the coil at the equivalent of about 16V while cranking the
engine.  That short duration of overcurrent will not harm the coil, but will
assist in starting.

Conversely, the 3 ohm coil should not use a ballast resistor.  It if does
have a ballast resistor, it will be effectively running on something like 8
Volts, when it is designed for 12v.  You will get a weak spark in that
situation.

If you run the 1.5 ohm coil continuously without a ballast resistor, you
will burn it out and you will probably damage a pertronics that is trying to
switch the coil.  In my humble opinion, the pertronics is JUST able to
handle the switching current from a 3 ohm coil.  Doubling that current is
probably going to be bad.

I have never used a pertronics in a ballasted system.  But here is what I
THINK you need to do if you do use it in a ballasted system: The pertronics
unit needs 12V, so it can't tap that from the + side of the coil the way it
does when you have an unballasted system.  You need a separate 12V supply.
All the other pertronics connections are the same.  When cranking the
engine, you will probably be switching higher current thru the coil that
usual, but for limited durations, this is probably not going to be a
problem.

-Tony