[TR] Coil Resistance

cofrog at q.com cofrog at q.com
Fri Apr 15 12:45:47 MDT 2011

I'm confused (again).  What coil resistance do I use with a Pertronix LU142A  Ignition?  I have two different cars and two different  setups.  A street TR4 which has the 1.5 ohm internal ballasted  coil and a TR4A racer with am external  ballast and a  3 ohm coil.  Both are negative ground.  Some folks on the web say use only a 3 ohm coil (unballasted?) with the Pertronix.  It appears my coil shot craps on the street car and took out the I gnitor.  So I'm double checking what resistance coil is proper.

I want to give kudos to Marvin at Pertronix who replaced the toasted LU142A eventhough it was out of warranty by a few weeks.

Thanks,

Dan