[TR] Ignition question; not really TR, but could be!

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 21:22:37 MDT 2011

Hi everyone;

My son has a 1982 Volvo 242 that has covered about 50,000 miles/80,000kms
from new. We've decided to change to electronic ignition and obtained a
Pertronix kit that simply replaces the points. The instructions say to make
sure  the coil has at least 3 ohms of resistance. We've tested the coil on the
car and  it reads 1.5 ohms. The coil on the 244 parts car reads 2.2 ohms. I
have a stash  of old TR coils; we've only tested one and it reads 3.8 ohms.

Is the coil on the 242 faulty? Is it just that the kit is not compatible
with that coil? Should I just fit the kit anyway?

Tim  Dyer
TR3A TS22030LO
Volvo PV544 Sport, 1965
'51 Chev 3-ton
'91 Mustang convertible (sorry about that...)