[TR] Grant ring set question

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 21:19:09 MDT 2011

>From experience, I agree with Randall.

I installed a set of NOS "antique" 4 ring AE pistons a couple of years
ago in freshly bored sleeves. I was on a budget and couldn't pass up the
cheap pistons. I installed the one piece cast oil rings that came with
the pistons. It ran fine but I was never happy with oil consumption of
<700 miles per quart even after about 8K miles.

Reading on the web, some people say that the four ring pistons were for
low performance non-automotive applications. Others say that the fourth
ring was added as an unsuccessful attempt at improving poor oil
consumption, and that some cars came from the factory this way. I am not
quite sure which story to believe.

As an experiment, I pulled the pistons this winter, honed the cylinders
and installed a new set of Hastings rings. The set of Hastings rings
came with two oil rings per cylinder, but the top ring is a modern three
piece ring while the bottom one is of the original cast style. I debated
about leaving the bottom one empty as Randall suggests, but went ahead
and installed it anyway.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the oil consumption this
summer.

What else can I say other than it gives me a hobby to work on during the
winter and a fun commuter car during the summer :-)

Mike
TS11544L