[TR] TR3 Gearbox Oil

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Apr 1 06:34:30 MST 2011

In a message dated 4/1/2011 5:48:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
emw327 at gmail.com writes:
> Hello
>
> I bought a 1959 TR3a.
> I'm nut shure about the gearbox in it.
>
> A TR3 Gearbox needs SAE 30 oil.
> A TR4 gearbox needs SAE 90 oil.
> Does anybody knows from what number of gearbox SAE 90 is needed.
> I all ready drained it, so I don't know if its a synchronised first or
> not.
>
> Greetings from Belgium
>
> Guido

Saludo, Guido.  This issue of oil ratings can be confusing.  The TR3
specified SAE 30W engine oil.  The later models called for 90W hypoid gear oil.
The viscosity rating of engine oil is performed at different temperatures
than for gear oil.  As it works out the viscosity of 30W engine oil is nearly
the same as 90W gear oil.

There are several different ratings for hypoid gear oil, as well.  Triumph
specified GL4 gear oil.  Most of the gear oil available (at least here in
the US) conforms to the newer standard GL5.  Do not use GL5 rated mineral oil
as the sulfur content is too high for Triumph gear boxes.  The sulfur
additives are harmful to the brass parts in the transmission.

You will be safe using non-detergent 30W engine oil in your TR3.  Many
others have had good luck with synthetics.  I use Red Line MTL in my gear boxes
but this is hard to find even over here.  Synthetic gear oils do not contain
as much sulfur (if any at all) and will not harm the brass parts.

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
We're happy to help.

I hope this message finds you in good health and happiness.

Dave