[TR] Electronic ignition systems

lists lists at brits-n-pieces.com
Wed Sep 29 00:51:16 MDT 2010

The 123ignition is quite a clever switch, which measures the energy taken by the coil on each firing. It adjusts the "dwell angle" on each stroke so that your coil neither heats up on low revs nor is undersupplied with energy on high revs. It cuts out the current from the coil after the engine has come to a rest even if you forget to switch off the ignition key. It eliminates all the disadvantages of shaft wobble and worn out springs and weights in the dizzy simply because it is triggered by hall effect and does not have any springs and weights. It doesn't need a crank trigger, it is more or less a plug & play system with all the electronics built into the dizzy housing. The advance curve is taken from a programmed matrix and you have no moving parts inside the dizzy except of the shaft and rotor. You can either select one of 16 pre-programmed advance curves by turning a little rotary switch (123ignition version) or by storing two advance curves to your like into the eprom (via USB-cable) of the dizzy (123\TUNE version). These two curves can be switched during driving and can be replaced as often as you want. The software which can be downloaded for free has a so-called tuning-mode, which allows the (co-)driver to change the advance curve while the car is running under several load and rpm situations. The timing (rpm- and loadwise) can be optimized in dashboard mode with the help of an implemented stopwatch. These features can save a lot of dyno hours. The price is higher than most of these Pertronix units, but stays well in the 3 digit $s. Ok, it is not made in the US, but Europe, which is far away from Asia.

If you have any questions on the above described ignition systems, just ask me via info[at]brits-n-pieces.com. I'll be more than happy to answer them. I hope you don't mind this shameless self-promotion but I thought this might be of interest to all of you.

Eric
Brits'n'Pieces
www.brits-n-pieces.com