[TR] Electronic ignition systems

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Mon Sep 27 20:47:47 MDT 2010

> Even if it does make a difference, is more spark advance necessarily a
> Good
> Thing?

What we're talking about here, given all other things equal, is if the
trigger mechanism is better using points or an electronic module. The real
key is whether or not the "trigger" is more consistent; did it fire when it
was supposed to and maximize the highest voltage spark it could. Given that
our cars are old (like me) the condition of the dizzy probably has a bigger
affect than anything else.

Does anybody know if any of the electronic modules influences the coil
charge/discharge cycle based on engine speed? Or is it just a stupid switch?
If so then that influencing could affect advance and high/low engine rev
performance. I thought that the Pertronix was just a stupid switch and the
dizzy springs/weights controlled the advance.

Johnnie
'67 TR4A with points