[TR] Fwd: spark jump

aribert at c3net.net aribert at c3net.net
Mon Sep 27 07:48:47 MDT 2010

Fireball? - Is this the Crane XR-700 ignition?  Have you by chance left
the key **on** with the engine not running for more than a couple of
minutes recently?

I very much like the Crane unit but I have fried (2) modules by leaving
the key on while doing some trouble shooting on my Spit bodied GT6 and not
disconnecting the power to the Crane unit.  The fried module will allow
the engine to start & run but at very diminished performance and if memory
is correct not at higher rpm (slightly over idle speed) w/o all the rough
running symtoms you mentioned.  I have carried a spare XR-700 module in
the trunk for the past 10 years, just in case I do something stupid and
fry the current one.

It is my understanding that the Crane XR-3000 unit did not suffer from
this issue but I never got around to upgrading.  I don't know if this
ignition is still available after Crane's bankrupcy.