[TR] Wire Length

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 05:40:35 MDT 2010

I have a set of nearly solid core ignition wires left over from a V-8 plow truck long-dead-and-gone.  Since I'm currently messing with the ignition system anyway, my plan is to cut them down and use them to replace the ones in the TR3.

Just curious:  How sensitive is it necessary to be when chopping ignition wires to length?  On one hand, making a stock short wire shorter, and a long wire longer, would affect the timing by delivering spark sooner and later respectively.  On the other hand, the electrical pulse would seem to be so fast, it wouldn't matter.

Which is right?

(I'm on vacation and obviously have too much time on my hands.)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire