[TR] broken strut bolt, no TR

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Sep 24 18:44:37 MDT 2010

No TR content but automotive nevertheless.  We just got back in from
almost 2 weeks in Acadia Natl Park.  While we were there the hatch on
our 2006 Grand Caravan decided to get heavy.  The reason is that the
bolt holding one of the compressed-air struts to the hatch broke off
at the hatch.

Fortunately I could unscrew the other end of the strut from its mount
in the door frame.  Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to close the
hatch at all because of the strut dangling in the way.

So now in order to replace the strut someone will have to drill out
the old one from the hole in the hatch.  If that fails we'll have to
replace the entire hatch, I guess.  What are the odds that whoever
tries to do this will break off an easy-out bit in the old bolt?

So should I take this to the corner gas station (one with real, old-
fashioned mechanics who do real work as well as sell gas)?  Or to a
Dodge dealer?  Or a near-by Boston Muffler & Brake where I've had
other work done, on the premise that they deal with more stuck bolts
than ordinary garages?

Thanks in advance.  Without your enlightened guidance I have to just
roll the dice.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com