[TR] Stranded

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 24 10:29:15 MDT 2010

If all else fails, might be worth swapping points back in.  Last time I had
those symptoms, it was a bad condenser.  Might be that your Pertronix module
has developed a similar fault, ie switching enough to allow some spark but
bleeding off enough energy that the spark isn't enough to make the engine
run.

I've never heard of a TRactor motor jumping cam timing (and I've run some
pretty badly worn out engines), but anything is possible.  As a quick check,
you can turn the motor to TDC with #4 firing (rotor points at #4), and look
down the fill pipe to see if both valves on #1 are open the same amount.  If
there is a big difference, then either the cam or the TDC mark is off.

-- Randall