[TR] ignition timing

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 15:13:08 MDT 2010

I'm not home right now so don't have particular numbers on my cam but it is an
S2 cam.  My engine is normal compression.  I finally have it running very well
but  needed to get the distributor re-curved and cleaned up by Jeff, set the
valves at .014 intake and .016 exhaust.  I also upped my timing considerably.  I
think I remember right that I'm at roughly 22 BTDC.  I think i have a little bit
of ping at that setting so might be adjusting that back a bit.  I find that
setting idle at a little over 1,000 rpm is about right also.  This seems to be
working well for me right now.

I had my timing set at around 12 to 14 btdc also and wasn't happy with it ( I
also had some blowbackfiring happening especially on initial startup) so went
out one day with a wrench and slowly advanced the timing untill I was happy with
how it ran......making sure I kept it below the pinging level.

hope this helps

gary n.