[TR] TR3 Upper Shock Tower Bolts

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Fri Sep 17 09:25:27 MDT 2010

     Man, nothing is making sense.
     I am changing out the upper control arm/fulcrum bushings on my TR3. I did one side last year and everything went smoothly. I was going to do the other side the following week, and you know how that can go...
     Now on the second side (the right side) the mounting bolts for the upper fulcrum are all wonky. The front inboard one is a bolt and nut and looks like the DPO put that in when he stripped the captive nut. The two outboard bolts each had 3 lock washers and the end of the bolt threads look like they were stripped. I went to measure the threads with a TPI gauge and it doesn't match anything I have.
     To really make me wonder, the outboard fulcrum mounting bolt holes bottom out after about 5 or 6 threads. On the other side ISTR that they went all the way through. Is it possible that the DPO sheared off the bolts last time he did this? Are the bolt holes supposed to bottom out like that?
     Are the outboard fulcrum mounting bolts supposed to be Whitworth or something?
     On the inboard mounting bolts, the rear one has no captive nut and had no nut on the end of the bolt.
     What kind of bolts is this supposed to have?
     I may just put the new bushings in and put it back how it was.
     My wife is on my case saying that I break things that aren't broken and it was okay until I tried to fix it.
     Help!
     TIA,
     Bill in Tehachapi