[TR] TR4 top front lip stiffener rods

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 11 09:31:41 MDT 2010

On Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:52:27 am J.C. Hassall wrote:
> Folks, 15 years ago, when I started this rustoration, I bought a
> pot-load of stuff from TRF, including a new vinyl top.  Last year, when
> I installed the top, I noticed that the top lip didn't stay in the
> windshield clip.  At speeds above 40MPH the top just peels back.  While
> browsing the Moss catalog recently I noticed that they carry a set of 3
> stiffener rods for the lip.  Trouble is, they want $50 for them!  'Scuse
> me!?  So I called TRF; they said yes, that they sell the rods, yes they
> are needed to retain it, no they didn't have them in stock.
>
> Would someone pls send me the stiffener dimensions?  Hell's bells, for
> $50 I can make them out of extruded gold.
>
> tia
>
> jim
Jim,

I may have a set somewhere in my parts inventory.

During my 63 4 restoration it came with what was left of the original top and
before I put it in the trash I saved all the rear lift o dots and the
stiffeners. Problem is I cannot remember where I put them! But they are there
somewhere. Dont ask me why I save all those lift o dots. I must have over 100
of them!

If I remember correctly, they are sort of spring steel and yes there are 3.
I am leaving for a family reunion in a few minutes but when I get back I will
take a look to see if I can locate the set.If I do, I will ship you an email.

I can ship them to you via usps and when  you get them you can have a choice,
keep them and pay me what you think they are worth, or just use them as a
template if you would like to fabricate them yourself. Just reimburse me for
shipping.

I am not looking to make a buck - just trying to help out.

Bob