[TR] engine dis-assembly

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Sep 9 06:45:16 MDT 2010

In a message dated 9/8/2010 9:00:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
nafzigerg at yahoo.com writes:
> While taking apart my tr-3 motor the book keeps telling me to put small
> parts in
> a jam jar.  Searching the kitchen I find we only eat jelly.  I'm in a
> pickle........we do have some pickle jars.  Has anyone tried saving parts
> in a
> jelly jar instead of a jam jar?  Am wondering if it's ok to use another
> receptacle.

According to the WiseGeek (
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-jam-and-jelly.htm ) the difference between jam and jelly is that jam
is made with fruit solids whereas jelly is made with just fruit juice.
Therefore if you use jelly jars you may end up with only the grease and loose
the part.  So don't use a jelly jar.

Pickling is another way of preserving (and that is what you want to do,
isn't it?  Preserve the parts?) that uses vinegar instead of sugar.  And since
pickles are solid objects the pickle jar will do just fine.  Of course, your
car may have a more sour disposition when you get it back together but that
may not be all bad.

Go to Sam's and get an industrial sized jar (you know, the 5 gallon size)
and you can keep ALL of your parts in one jar.  That way your wife will only
have one jar to throw away when she does spring cleaning.

Dave (looking for a wine barrel for my parts)