[TR] pully failure

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 2 16:48:33 MDT 2010

I was driving to a car hop tonight in the 4 when I thought I heard a metal
ding sort of noise. At first I thought the car in front of me threw a stone
but a few seconds later I noticed my temperature gauge pinged.

So I pulled over and opened up the hood expecting to find a large hole in the
radiator but what I found was the belt somehow came off the lower pulley.

I had the wife hit the starter while I coaxed the belt back on and we limped
home. Must have lost alot of fluid as the temp stayed around 190 - 200 the
whole way home.

So when I got home I opened up the bonnet to let the engine cool thinking I
just had a loose belt when I noticed a small piece of metal on the frame. It
was a 2" piece of the inner part of the pulley where the timing mark is
located or was.

The bottom part of the piece is not a fresh break so it looks like a crack
developed over time and finally went today.

Has anyone else experienced metal fatigue in the lower engine pully?

I have a spare but looks like the radiator and fan assembly is coming off in
the near future.

At least it is an easier job than the TR3!

Bob