[TR] VTR Concours Judging

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 15:18:57 MDT 2010

Hey Guys,
FYI for everyone,

VTR Judges are instructed:

To use the standard of new vehicle on the showroom floor. Many of you  have
seen clean original Triumph's and they really were not that great,  Huh?
The standard is NOT the pristinely restored car coming out of a  trailer.
Over restoration  is neither rewarded or penalized.   Many times a driven car
will score higher than a Trailer queen but not  always. Did any of you look
at the last TR6 on display at Jekyll with less  than 1000 miles on the
clock?  How about that orange peeled BRG paint  job?

To only deduct for accumulated dirt, grease and oil not fresh dirt acquired
 driving to and at the convention so rubber shavings in the wheel wells
from the  autocross is OK.  Since we drive our cars a certain amount of minimal
wear  and tear is to be expected. Mishaps occurring driving to and at the
convention  are forgiven.  For instance I shattered my drivers side glass on
the TR6  right after the Fun Rallye.

To make deductions for reproduction parts if they differ significantly in
form or material from the original parts.  The deduction is one half of the
total points for the component in question. Consumable parts such as
radiator  caps, ignition wires (must be the correct color), fuses, etc are not
receiving deduction. We still like to see the original baby tennax  fasteners
on early TR2's and the Lucas script on radiator caps but we have made
allowances for some parts that are not available anywhere such as allowing
stainless steel exhaust systems.

At Jekyll I had and excellent crew of volunteer judges and they were  very
kind to the cars. All the Triumphs received Gold certificates except  two
that were Silver with no Bronze so the Triumphs presented must have  been in
excellent condition. Some of the classes were very competitive. The  BOS was
actually an original very low mileage 80 Spitfire 1500 not a restored  car.
Second in that class was a lightly restored 1500 that was formerly BOS at
VTR.  If anyone really wants to know how we judge, please attend the  judges
school.  All are welcome.

Darrell