[TR] VTR judging (was Re: Convention agenda)

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Thu Oct 28 20:46:11 MDT 2010

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more.  The VTR judging is very different from
the AACA rules AFAIK.  AACA scores an original part very highly, and obviously
repro parts are scored rather low.  Patina is OK, even great!.  Grime, not so
OK.

I had a particular bee in my bonnet about judging of my interior on my 4A.  It
is all original.  That means that there are a couple of crazes in the
"varnish" of the walnut dashboard.  The leather seats have some surface
cracking.  The carpets are not faded or threabare.  Repro seats look better,
but they ALL have the piping in the wrong position and the foams have the
wrong shape (too square instead of rounded).  I saw other cars with pretty but
inaccurate repros get higher points than me (in '07).  Whereas in '04, the
judges did not give me downgraded points for some visible age, when they are
clearly original parts.

-Tony