[TR] TR3 carb rebuild H6

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 14:37:45 MDT 2010

________________________________
From: Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com>
To:
triumphs at autox.team.net
Sent: Sat, October 16, 2010 1:21:36 PM
Subject: Re:
[TR] TR3 carb rebuild H6

> so what am i doing wrong with the jet assembly
that is
> making the choke so full
> of friction?

Only thing I can think of
is that somehow, one of the jet bearing halves is
either cocked when it works
and forced straight when you tighten the nut, or
else being forced out of
line. but to have all 4 carbs act the same (2 on each
car)! it has to be
something im doing. no?
  It shouldn't make any difference which way
that slot
is turned (it's just there to allow fuel to flow into the jet
bearing.

I'll
add that I never had very good luck using the centering tool; and feel
it is a
poor design.  It in effect assumes that everything is machined
perfectly,
since it only centers the jet to the carb body rather than to the
needle
itself.  If everything was machined perfectly then there would be no
need to
adjust the jet centering! agreed. but its kinda working ok. and as i
said
with the needle, piston and pot off the carb, the jets still bind.

My method
is to assemble everything with the mixture nut turned full lean
(or off
entirely) and tighten the large nut partway with a wrench, so the
jet bearings
can just barely move.  I then tap the jet bearing around until
the jet is
centered (as shown by the needle not binding, piston falls with a
click),
which is a trial and error process but generally only takes a few
minutes.
Then finish tightening the big nut and check again; sometimes it
will move and
the process have to be repeated.  When you set the mixture,
the jet will be
lower and hence assure some small clearance to the needle.

BTW, I really like
the seals from Moss, but they appear to be just ordinary
O-rings.  Since I
finally managed to wear them out (apparently some fine
grit got in there and
caused the wear), this time I used ordinary Buna-N
O-rings.  Seem to be
working so far.

Randall

Triumphs at autox.team.net