[TR] New brake master and servo question/issue/safety

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Fri Oct 15 15:47:42 MDT 2010

To the list,

1972 Triumph TR6, returned from some work at local British car shop.

Had leaking brake master cylinder.  They evaluated the brake master, it was toast.  Evaluated servo unit, it was full of fluid.  They do not do rebuilds.

So, new master, new brake server, new fluid, bled the brakes.  Drove for a week, was really surprised on how soft the brake was since before the repair it was hard as a rock.  The servo is nice and gives you better control of brake pressure.

Issue, went to a car show last weekend about 45 miles out.  Came back, got off the highway, came to the first stoplight, pressed on the brakes and I had no servo assist.  Did get stopped but just barely.  Notified the shop, they have a 45 day parts and labor warranty and they were very nice as always.

So, I have been driving the car as much as possible to test it out.  The servo has cut out on me maybe 4 times in the past two weeks, usually if I come off the brake and then go back in, it is ok.  Where I have had a problem is coming home tonight pulling into a parking spot, hit the brakes, no assist and I almost hit the concrete in front of me.

I am concerned by the fact that I do not do brakes because they need to be right and I drive both of my kids in the car.  When I hit the brakes, I expect them to be the same each time I hit them.  This issue seems to be (at least to me) related to the vacuum boost that comes from the engine because it seems to happen the most at low speed.

What do you say list?  Should I expect the brakes to react and "feel" the same each time I depress them with this new equipment or is it another one of those fun "British car things".  Any input is appreciated, if it is not right, I will let them deal with it.

Thanks,

Craig H. Nicholls
1972 Triumph TR6