[TR] crank pulley

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 12 18:14:35 MDT 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 05:49:58 pm terryrs at comcast.net wrote:
> Curious:  Timing the engine on the TR3A, I noticed a chunk is missing,
> broken off.  Doesn't seem to affect the ability to turn the belt, though.
>
> I know the original fan was balanced.  So, my question is, would a piece
> that's maybe two inches wide by maybe 1 deep, affect crank balance such
> that it causes much harm?  ...At a minimum, can I drive another few weeks
> before snowfall without damage?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hamsphire

Terry,

About 2 months ago, I posted a similar query but not to ask if it was ok to
run the engine with the piece missing but what caused the failure.

I was driving about 60 and I heard a metal clank and then about 5 seconds
later my temp gauge was pinned. Turned out after the piece was thrown off the
belt followed!

I was able to drive home (very slow) after waiting for the engine to cool off
and slipping the belt back on but I replaced the pulley front and back the
following weekend. On a 4 it was a 3 hour job. On a 3, you will have to pull
the front apron.

On further examination of the inside pulley half, I noticed the crack to
extend another 1.5 inches along the inner diameter. The piece I lost was 2.5
inches and believe it or not it landed on the frame and stayed there all the
way home, over 15 miles!

If it was me, I wouldn't drive the car another foot.

If this ever happens again on either my 3 or 4, I will replace the stock
pulley with the Moss version and install the electric fan.

Bob