[TR] 20 weight for Carbs

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 22:30:12 MDT 2010

>      ISTR that the SU carb dampers need 20 weight oil.

Actually, I believe the factory recommendation was to use the same
(straight) weight oil recommended for the engine.  However, 20 weight seemed
to work best when I did some experiments with my TR3A.

> Is
> there another source for 20 weight oil, like at a FLAPS

None of mine seem to carry 20 weight motor oil any more.  Kind of looks like
no one makes it.

> or
> maybe a motorcycle shop?

Should still be able to buy 20 weight fork oil, but I haven't actually tried
recently (yet).  Maybe tomorrow.

> Anything wrong with using ATF?

On my car, ATF produced just a bit of "lean bog", where the engine wouldn't
respond quite as strongly when first opening the throttle.  Not really
noticeable, until comparing with heavier oil.  But it depends a lot on other
factors, so it may work just fine in your carbs.  And the lean bog won't
actually harm anything, as long as the engine doesn't actually stumble
(misfire).

Randall