[TR] VTR 2010

McGaheyRx at aol.com McGaheyRx at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 09:06:20 MDT 2010

In a message dated 9/30/2010 11:09:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbtr3a at cox.net writes:

The auto  cross on Jekyll has gained the reputation of being
one of the very fastest  and challenging autocross venues offered

I have some great news about the autocross:

- course designers are often limited by the distance between placement of
start and finish lights - no such limitation exists this year with The Buc
Region SCCA equipment - we can place the start and finish up to 1,400 feet
apart  - this means we will use more of the runway and less of the narrower
taxiway  than we ever have before - this also means we can provide a larger
spectator  area with a better view of the course than we have ever had before.

- I was just at the airport Monday this week and found that the taxiway,
along with the entire area within the airport fence, has been repaved since
our last visit. I believe the new asphalt surface is seasoned enough to
stand up  to all the punishment we can give it and I believe this site will have
a  smoother surface with better grip than any VTR autocross event I've
attended in the past 10 years.

- This course will be longer than any at VTR National event in the past 10
years and may be the longest ever at a VTR National. I don't want to brag
about  it being the fastest, because speeds must be limited to a safe level -
 but...ah...it is what it is and sometimes on a long, narrow site its just
safer to let the cars go a little faster than it would be to force them
into a  violent maneuver to slow them down.

I hope to see many of you there.

Cheers,
Jack McGahey
VTR 2010 Autocross Chairman