[TR] smaller steering TR4

carlsereda carlsereda at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 12:16:15 MST 2010

Pat,
A Triumph Spitfire steering wheel of similar year looks almost identical to the TR4 steering wheel but measures about 15". I've seen a few over the years on eBay mistakenly labelled - they are so close. Some folks have told me dealers would swap in a Spit wheel into a TR4 for their taller customers. I used a Spitfire wheel on my TR4 for a few years but didn't really like the reduced leverage - made the steering feel harder to operate and it's slightly less robust a steering wheel than the TR version.
You might consider checking if you could lower the seats a little more than the factory allowance..
As I restore my car I'm going to make sure the steering column is bolted up 'as high as possible'.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74