[TR] (no subject)

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 23 09:21:41 MST 2010

> I am having trouble getting the clips onto the back of my
> Girling   wheel cylinder.  It is 40 yrs since I worked on
> this type and do not recall how I did it.  I would appreciate
> any help from someone who has this mastered

The diagrams in many if not all of the books are wrong!  But the written
directions in the factory manual work fine and result in correct assembly.

Briefly, put the cylinder in place, then install the smallest clip first
with the opening away from the handbrake lever, and the bent tabs away from
the backing plate.  Then put the larger clip with the bent tabs in place
between the smaller tab and the backing plate, also with the opening away
from the lever and the tabs away from the backing plate.  Now slip the
handbrake lever into position.  Now tap the third clip into place between
the first two, working from the other side (open end towards the handbrake
lever).  The tabs in the second clip should engage the notches in the third
clip to lock them together.

-- Randall