[TR] Positive thought for winter project

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 16:27:38 MST 2010

List,

I have gas fumes leaking from the fuel sending unit on my 1972 Triumph TR6.  The gas tank is in great shape internally, still see silver down there after all these years.

As a temporay fix (so I don't blow up) I have used some gasket sealer around where the fuel sending unit sits on the tank.  After replacing every other part last winter, for some reason I did not figure it out until this year.

My question to the list, if you have one of those fancy screw drivers that is flexible, is it possible to remove the 6 screws and 6 fiber washers, lift the fuel sending unit, replace the cork gasket (adding a little gasket sealer) and replace everything WITHOUT removing the whole tank?

You know what the book says, I am just wondering if it can be done.

Thanks,

Craig
1972 Triumph TR6