[TR] TR3 Upper Fulcrum Bolts

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 21 11:42:06 MST 2010

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:07:07 pm William Brewer wrote:
>      On the left side of my TR3A the upper fulcrum is held in by four
> bolts. The inner bolts have nyloc nuts and the outer bolts go through a
> caged or captive nut on the frame somehow. I haven't actually had the
> spring out and looked. On the right side the bolt arrangement is the same
> except the outer bolts only thread in about 3 threads and then bottom out.
> The threads are feeling a little "soft" as well. The DPO had put bolts in
> with 3 and 4 lock washers. This has been bugging me so I pulled the shock
> and spring so I could look underneath. Sure enough, the bolts don't go
> through. What gives? What is there supposed to be? Can someone take a look
> at a frame and tell me? My car took a hard hit to the front right corner
> long ago with the DPO. I've been tearing around in the car for about 18
> years and it has stayed on this long with all of the reckless driving I've
> done before I knew. Maybe I should just put the bolts in and forget about
> it. I've done this post before, but that was before I had it all apart to
> see what I have. This is my daily driver/work car so I need to get it back
> on the road by Monday the 29th. Any ideas?
>
>      -Bill in Tehachapi

Bill,

I don't have easy access to that area at this time but from memory, the inside
bolts are 3/8" 24 and should be about 1.5" or so in length with about 1" of
thread. They are fitted with a single lock washer.

The nuts under the shock tower are just regular 3/8" nuts welded underneath.
They are not the captive nuts.

Since the fulcrum is about 1/2 ", I am guessing you should see about 1/4 to
1/2 inch of bolt protruding the nut but I have never looked.

If the bolts wont get tight with a single washer, try re-tapping the nut but
make sure you work slow with a lot of cutting oil.

Bob