[TR] Swelling rubber to revive grommets?

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:25:46 MST 2010

I'd suggest soaking the grommet a replacement fluid used in some
engine or transmission with rubber seals.  Most of the power steering
fluid/ATF fluids, etc., have a certain level of solvent formulated
into them to swell the seals slightly in the thing they're added to.
This is done to keep the seals soft and to prevent them leaking.

You might try some fluid specifically noted as stopping leaks to
ensure a particularly robust level of swelling agent in the
formulation.

I'd probably not use silicone.  It's fairly inert to rubber, and it
will eventually coat anything remotely close to it with a film that
will resist adhesion.  I try not to use silicones for anything on a
car.

Don
TR3B TSF202L