[TR] Engine Rebuild -- Sorta

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 16:27:40 MST 2010

> BTW, the loctite you use instead of the lock
> washers
> - is that the regular blue or the heavy duty red?

I'm always nervous identifying Loctite by color, as they make literally
hundreds of different formulas in only a handful of different colors.
Here's a partial list:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite-threadlockers/=9qytz5

However, for rod bolts, I use Loctite 243, "medium strength, oil resistant,
for fasteners 1/4-3/4" which is blue.  Don't know that it is best, just what
I use.

Also, it's worth checking that removing the lock tabs doesn't make the bolts
too long.  I've never seen it, but it could happen.  Just turn the bolt in
lightly (by hand) without the cap, and check that the exposed shank is
shorter than the thickness of the cap.

-- Randall