[TR] Engine Rebuild -- Sorta

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 16:29:48 MST 2010

> Can the rod, main and thrust washers can be replaced from under the car
> after dropping the oil pan?

Rod bearings on a TR2-4, yes.  Thrusts also, but they rarely wear much on
the TRactor motors.

The front & rear main bearings are more problematic.  I was able to get my
rear main cap out without removing the flywheel, but others have reported
that theirs wouldn't come off (so it may depend on which flywheel you have,
etc).  To remove the front cap, you have to remove the spacer block, which
will tear the gasket for the front plate and potentially leave a leak.

My suggestion would be to do the rod bearings, and leave it at that.  If the
mains & thrust are also badly worn, likely it's time to do the overhaul.

IOW, do as I say, not as I do <G>

Of course there are lots of other Triumphs, and I have no idea how much of
this does, or does not apply, to them.  Dropping the pan on a Stag looks
like a major undertaking ...

-- Randall