[TR] master and slave cylinder repair or replace

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 10:23:07 MST 2010

> But back in the early seventies when I first rebuilt the
> TR3A I
> was told that "brake and clutch systems age together"

I have seen the same effect, but IMO it was because the seals sold in the
70s were not compatible with American brake fluid.  I don't know the
chemical explanation (although many people have asserted that the British
seals were "natural rubber"), but I did demonstrate to my own satisfaction
that American fluid would soften and dissolve the seals; while Girling fluid
wouldn't.  But that problem seems to have disappeared over the years, so
either the fluid or the seals have changed.

Otherwise, I don't believe they "age together", because the usage (and hence
wear) is so different.  The clutch slave and MC move much farther than the
brakes, and at least 2-3 times more often.

Also, the pressure is whatever it takes to perform the function.  It doesn't
"increase" just because you rebuilt the system, unless it was previously not
enough to do the job.  IOW, the brake system sees only the pressure required
to stop the car, the clutch system sees only the pressure required to
release the clutch.

Or, to put it yet another way, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

-- Randall