[TR] master and slave cylinder repair or replace

McGaheyRx at aol.com McGaheyRx at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 06:26:18 MST 2010

In a message dated 11/11/2010 8:41:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jeremiah at curryclan.net writes:

I looked  up apple hydraulics based on someone else's recommendation, but
the
rebuild  is more than the new parts.  Is there a reason that rebuilt would
be
better than replaced?

absolutely YES
what you really want Apple to do is sleeve the cylinder  with brass - send
them the bare cylinder, then rebuild with  your original internal parts (if
they're good - they usually are) and a new seal  set. Replacement cylinders
currently available are generally Chinese  reproductions (even the ones in
TRW boxes) and are notorious for poor quality  and early failure. I've never
had any problem with resleeved cylinders -  the brass will not corrode and
pit like the original steel bore.
Cheers,
Jack Mc