[TR] leaf springs-Polyethylene plastic-teriann wakeman

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 21:03:40 MST 2010

> I saved a post from Teriann from long long ago concerning
> leaf springs and the
> use of Polyethylene plastic strips

Note that it's important to use ultra high molecular weight polyethylene,
more commonly known as UHMW.  Ordinary PE isn't going to hold up at all.

Based on TeriAnn's advice, I've been running UHMW in my TR3 for about 1.5
years now, and so far I'm very happy with it.  My previous attempt (bearing
needles between the leaves) didn't last nearly this long.  The difference in
both ride and handling is noticeable.

> I was disappointed in that 3 of the tabs I bent out
> broke off.  I'm
> assuming I can simply weld them back together and they'll
> still keep the leaves
> straight.

I would not try to weld them, unless you cut the rivets first, weld, and
then re-rivet.  The leaves are hardened and tempered I believe, so the heat
of welding will ruin them.

When I had some similar springs modified at a local spring shop many years
ago, they didn't even try to reuse the original clips.  Instead they made
new ones of what I assume was mild, flat steel, bent into a U-shape to fit
the spring snugly, and with a bolt and spacer to form the 4th side on top of
the spring.  The clips don't need to be very strong, their only function is
to keep the leaves from fanning out to the sides.

But I've been lucky enough to never break a clip on my TRs, so I've not
tried to make new ones.

-- Randall