[TR] leaf springs-Polyethylene plastic-teriann wakeman

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:32:48 MST 2010

On 11/9/10 6:39 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> Listers,
> I saved a post from Teriann from long long ago concerning leaf springs and the
> use of Polyethylene plastic strips between leaves rather than cleaning up and
> using grease.  TeriAnn had used that method and was very happy with it.

Here's a quote from one of my web pages:

"the next step is to minimize the friction between the individual
leaves. I like UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight) Polyethylene plastic.

This plastic provides a low friction surface, similar to Teflon tape,
but with a much higher abrasion and puncture resistance. It was designed
specifically for commercial use on chutes, packaging lines, slides, and
anywhere high pressure metal to metal sliding contact occurs. It also
provides sound dampening, eliminating squeaks and rattles caused by
adjacent parts movement. The plastic's temperature range is -40 to +225
degrees F.

The plastic tape I like is 0.005" thick, comes on a 3 inch wide roll and
has 1.5 mils of acrylic adhesive. It can be purchased from McMaster Carr
(http://www.mcmaster.com/) and is part number 76445A24 (You can do a
part number search on their site to find the tape).

You disassemble the spring pack and stick the tape to the top side of
each individual leaf, except for the top leaf of course. This tape
virtually eliminates the friction between adjacent leaves in the leaf
pack and dramatically increases the spring's ability to react to bumps
in the road."

I wrote the above for Series Land Rovers which have 3 inch wide leaf
springs.  The plastic has been between the springs for 11 years now.
The strips are a bit ratty around the ends but are still hanging in
there after a lot of washboard road driving in the Land Rover. Spring
flex is still better than new stock.

I have not had my TR3's rear springs apart since trying it on the Land
Rover.  It however on my to do list when I get around to pulling the
springs.

Teriann