[TR] TR3 Top Erecting

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 15:11:55 MST 2010

>      Just curious what techniques work for getting the top bows up on a
> TR3 top after the snaps have been snapped.

I use two techniques (or did, when I was using a top <G>).  One is to leave
the "dog legs" collapsed while fastening all the snaps, then pull them into
place while standing outside the car (being careful to avoid pinching
fingers!).  ISTR this is even mentioned in the factory literature as the
'proper' method of erecting the top.

The other is to undo the straps from the rearmost bow and leave them that
way.  (The plates can be reinstalled onto the bow without the strap, so they
don't get lost.)  Then the top can be fully installed with the rearmost bow
still forward against the main bow.  Once inside the car, reach over your
head and push the bow back to bring the top snug.  As the top loosens up
(due to warmth and/or flexing), you can push the bow farther back to keep it
tight.  At least in my experience, it will stay in position without the
strap.

-- Randall