[TR] Acceleration Stumble

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 17:57:25 MST 2010

> While apart I placed a hose on the front of the
> vacuum advance and drew on it. It was very difficult to draw
> enough vacuum to see it move.

Do you mean you were using your mouth?  Yeah, that's pretty tough.  HF has a
Mityvac clone that works a lot better, and even has a gauge.

> Could this be the reason she stumbles under hard acceleration?

Not likely IMO.

What do you have in the dashpots?  Have you tried something thicker?

> She is very difficult to start when cold.  After she warms up
> never a problem. But cold I have to crank and crank and crank.
>
> What are the suggestions?

I had a similar problem, which went away when I switched back to points.
One thing I discovered was that the engine would frequently fire off just as
I released the starter button.  So before I swapped out the Pertronix, I
would let it crank about 2 revolutions and then let off to see if it would
fire.

In retrospect, I suspect this was the first symptom of a defective battery.
But I've not reinstalled the Pertronix to see if the problem has vanished
with the new battery.

Have you checked that your chokes are synchronized?  Is fuel leaking out of
the float bowls?  How long will it hold fuel pressure?

Randall