[TR] Speedo cable routing TR6 w/OD

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 29 22:44:52 MDT 2010

I'll take a shot at this, since all the TR6 owners appear to be out of town
for Memorial Day.  (Wife wants to work on her schoolwork, so I'm here.)

> If this has happened (on a TR6) can one use a longer cable in place of
> the angle drive (a sometimes fraglie and expensive part) as done on
> TR3s?

I believe to do that, you would have to cut holes in the body and route the
cable through the interior of the car.  You may recall, the TR3 had such
holes provided by the factory, and a rubber boot to cover the cable where it
goes through the cabin.

> Thought it odd that Steve said he got an OD cable... wouldn't having
> an angle drive mean that you could use your old short cable (assuming
> it was good)?

My early TR6 SPC shows the speedo cable being the same for OD and LHS non-OD
cars.  But he said his needle was bouncing before, so perhaps he wanted to
replace the cable just in case it was the problem.

Ed's comment about the angle drive is a good one too.  There are several
sellers that have figured out Volvo ODs & parts are worth more if they pass
them off as being for a TR6; but Volvo used a smaller square on the speedo
cable & angle drive (plus some other differences like speedo drive ratio).

Randall