[TR] LEDs & Flasher

Foster, Stan (HP IT) stan.foster at hp.com
Mon May 24 13:15:56 MDT 2010

Bill, the Lucas design for the flasher relies on small elves that live in a
metal container under the dash on a TR6. When you operate the flasher the
elves switch the circuit on and off. They feel the cold terribly however and
rely on a heated bi-metalic strip in the box to keep warm and this heater is
dependent on the wattage of the incandescent bulbs.

If you switch to LED's the heater wont work, the elves will move somewhere
warmer and the LED lamps will not flash. The solution is to use a modern
electronic flasher that could care less what the wattage is. The purists don't
like them because the starting sequence is wrong (the elves start with OFF)
and the cadence is wrong but I think most of us are happy if the flashers just
flash.

Stan