[TR] Tab washers or lock washers?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 22 13:41:06 MDT 2010

> Are tab washers still used in more modern
> applications?

I've not seen any, but that may be a cost issue more than what works best.
Newer cars seem to use mostly distorted threads for locking, presumably
because they are just as cheap as good threads.

But I believe Kas Kastner recommended removing the tabs in several locations
(rod bolts, flywheel bolts), and Carroll Smith called them "idiot devices".
(Of course he also called lock washers the "least effective" locking
method.)

On yet another hand though, "If it ain't broke ..."  These cars have
survived a remarkably long time, they must've gotten things mostly right.

Randall