[TR] does sparking indicate a short?

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Thu May 13 19:27:39 MDT 2010

Paul,
Sparking indicates that the circuit is drawing current, whether it is a
short or just the current needed to light your lights or run the heater fan
you will have to determine.  IF everything is turned off and you are seeing
a significant spark or heating of the wires, you have a problem that needs
to be resolved before you continue.

I would suggest strongly before you go about testing/touching your
connections that you use a fused test lead so that if you do run into a
direct short you will not smoke your wiring harness and the labor and $$$
that go along with it.

The A4 terminal should be hot when the key is on, put your test light
between the A4 term and ground, it should only come on when the ignition is
on.

The brake light switch is just a simple on-off switch and only gets power
when the ignition is on.  Yes, if you run a test lead to it and depress the
brakes it should light your brake lights.

Hope this helps, please be careful when touching some of those wires as it
could all go up in smoke pretty quick.

Bill