[TR] James Bond Run

Brian Jones Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Thu May 13 06:48:06 MDT 2010

I came across this on the Aston Martin Owners Club
(www.amoc.org<http://www.amoc.org>) web site.

Brian
Here's a topic from the TR Register forum which I thought might be of
interest

I'm currently reading the Bond novels by Ian Fleming and was really surprised
to see that a dove-grey TR3 made an appearance in "Goldfinger". It wasn't Bond
driving it, he had a Aston DB3, but Fleming didn't really have a bad word to
say about it.

In the novel, Bond is shadowing Goldfinger, by means of a tracking device, to
find out where he is taking his Rolls-Royce and keeps coming across the TR on
his travels. Eventually he realizes that the TR owner is also following
Goldfinger and, in order not to blow his cover, deliberately reverses the
Aston into the TR. The driver, a pretty girl (of course), then accompanies
Bond on his journey which leads them to Switzerland.

Given the mad things that TR owners do, I'm surprised that a 'James Bond' run,
perhaps in conjunction with an Aston Martin club, has never been organized.
Starting at Ramsgate and finishing in Geneva, despite passing to the west of
Paris, some parts of the journey (such as the air ferry flight from Lydd to Le
Touquet) couldn't re-created nowadays; some parts (such as the deliberate
crash in Macon) wouldn't be re-created (hopefully); but it would still be a
pleasant way to see the French countryside.  Thanks for listening to my
ramblings.

Paul .

If you are interested, post a reply oin the topics in the TR Register forum
http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23688&st=0 or send me
a PM and I'll pass your interest on.

Geoff