[TR] Jumping out of 2nd gear

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Fri May 7 16:31:23 MDT 2010

Lists,

TR, all synchro gearbox was jumping out of 2nd gear on deceleration. Usual
suspects like broken 2nd speed bush, incorrect bushing clearances, selector
shaft springs did not cure the problem. What did cure the problem was the
replacement of the 1/2 sliding hub and 2nd gear with a different used set.
Replacing those two parts was the only change I made and the gearbox works
perfectly, no longer jumping out of gear on deceleration.

Under a magnifying glass, I can see no appreciable difference between the
offending parts and other sets I have on hand.

So, my question to the lists is: how can you tell whether a particular
hub/gear set will cause such a problem BEFORE they're installed? What
differentiates a set with normal wear that is useable from a set that is not?
What's the test?

Ed Woods