[TR] off-topic - fixing damaged electric motor shaft

aribert at c3net.net aribert at c3net.net
Thu May 6 07:38:54 MDT 2010

You need bigger tools - a lathe (or a buddy that has one).  Myself, I
would remove the armature from the motor, turn down the shaft to clean up
the damage and (assuming that I already had the pulley) turn a bushing to
make up the difference btween the pulley bore and the now smaller shaft
dia.

Without that, you could try to run the motor w/o the pulley and hold a
file to it (place the file so that the shaft will pull the file *away*
from you) and knock down the high spots. Not having seen the damage, I am
guessing that the motor shaft is already a bit undersize before you even
knock down the high spots.  I think you will still have a shaft that is
undersize relative to your pulley bore and one that will not run true.