[TR] off-topic - fixing damaged electric motor shaft

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Wed May 5 11:13:12 MDT 2010

Sorry for off-topic, but this seems down the alley for some of the listers.

I have a 1/2 hp electric motor on my belt-driven furnace blower. Last winter
the pulley loosened up and spun and rattled around doing a fair bit of damage
to the 1/2" shaft before coming off. I got a new pulley of course, but it does
not sit evenly any more and the wobble as it turns is causing a vibration in
the fan that is quite irritating. The shaft is a straight 1/2" with a flatted
section. Of course the flat is good, it is the round part of the shaft that is
chewed up. The motor is almost new and I would like to avoid buying another
one if I can find a way to smooth the surface or similar so that the pulley
sits normal to the shaft.

Does anybody have any experience with this sort of issue?

If I can save the motor, then I can buy a nice TR6 bonnet liner. If not, then
I will have quiet in the house to sit and contemplate the hidiousness of the
underside of my car's bonnet. Presently can't work due to rumbling of furnace
and snarling of wife.

Mark Hooper