[TR] starter dog bolt (1958 TR3A)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 4 09:34:53 MDT 2010

> Does anyone have the torque value for tightening the starter
> dog bolt?

Standard torque is 140 ft-lb for a 5/8-18 grade 3.

> Any
> suggestion for locking up the crankshaft while tightening?

I generally use an impact wrench, so no need to hold the crankshaft.  But a
big pry bar against the ring gear teeth should work.  So does jamming a
chunk of 2x4 into a crank throw, but I don't like the idea of possibly
leaving wood fragments inside the crankcase.

> Silly question,
> but, other than keeping parts where parts are supposed to
> be,is it necessary
> to install this starter dog bolt

Well, no, but it's kind of important for keeping parts where they should be.
Without it, the front hub will work back and forth against the key in the
crank, eventually ruining the key, hub and crankshaft.  BTDT.

Randall