[TR] Transmission internal pressure question - drilling for oil

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 2 09:35:09 MDT 2010

> Each has a "viewing hole" which probably serves
> to get lubrication to the shafts (coals to Newcastle all
> things considered).

I believe it was actually to relieve the air pressure that would otherwise
oppose movement of the shaft.  There aren't matching holes at the other end
of the shafts, and they still seem to get plenty of lube (as you've
discovered)

> Shouldn't be a
> problem, just have to remember what sort of gasket material
> to use in re-sealing. The mechanic used something light grey
> which I do not recognise.

I don't believe it's critical at all.  But it's a hassle cutting them, so I
generally use a purpose-made gasket from the usual suspects.

> Strangely, all the transmission shift towers have a vertical
> barrel of aluminium on the right side which looks for all the
> world to be a space prepped for a breather. However it is not
> drilled through. There is no machinery underneath. I suppose
> in another model of car something fit there.

That was actually the dipstick hole on much earlier TRs.  There was a
matching hole in the transmission tunnel (with a rubber plug), so that one
could check the oil, and add if necessary, without jacking the car up.  It
was deleted in favor of the plug on the side in 1959.

Personally I rather liked the dipstick, so even though my TR3 has a TR6
gearbox, it still has the dipstick.  Turns out the cover castings are
interchangeable, even though the forks & shafts are not.

Randall